[Kisoondo] Strawberry Gochujang
Strawberry Gochujang! It's probably your first time hearing about it... but it sounds tasty, no?
This unique strawberry gochujang is produced by an artisan from Jeollanam-do named Ki Soon Do. She has spent the last 46 years making traditional Korean pastes. In fact, she comes from a family that has been producing Korean pastes for the last 360 years! That's nearly 5 generations of artisans passing down their accumulated knowledge. In 2008, the Korean government officially recognized Ki Soon Do as a Grandmaster of Korean foods.
To make this paste, Ki Soon Do adds freshly pureed strawberries to their famous gochujang recipe. The ratio of gochujang to strawberries is 7:3. So the primary flavor is still gochujang - it has an earthy, spicy flavor. (Don't mistake this as strawberry jam!) However, the strawberries provide a slightly-sweet finish that rounds-out that spice. It makes this gochujang taste even more addictive! This gochujang was also nominated as one of the Top-10 Rice-Made Products from Korea in 2017.
We've been experimenting with this gochujang in our studio. It works beautifully in Korean BBQ marinades or any type of seafood grills. If you're the type that likes to experiment with new flavors, this is a great choice!
I love this item and I'll probably purchase again!
Received my Strawberry Gochujang from Korea in a plastic bubble wrapped package that made it safely and in one piece all the way to the Midwest US, where I live. This strawberry gochujang definitely is a unique twist on regular gochujang. Noticeably sweeter. I'd describe it as being "less earthy" than the regular stuff you buy at your US-Korean grocery store, and at a "medium" level of spiciness. The strawberry flavor is noticeable, but does not overwhelm. I tried it on homemade bibimbap and really enjoyed it. It's a bit expensive, but definitely worth the cost for those special occasions where you want to make something for family or friends who may not like the typically deep earthiness of regular gochujang.
Very excited to try my new item, and when I did I was like wow it is so delicious. I recommend others to try it as well. Thank you Gochujar!!
- Owner is officially designated by the Korean government as a Korean Food Grandmaster
- Each ingredient - including the strawberries - is 100% Korea-grown (Non-GMO)
- Unique flavor! Tastes spicy, earthy and slightly-sweet
- Made with their famous traditional Gochujang
- Perfect for adding spice with a hint of sweetness to traditional Korean dishes
Full Ingredients List
- Strawberries (30%), Glutinous Rice Powder (35%), Gochugaru (25%),
Meju (Soybean) Powder, Bamboo Salt, Soy Sauce, Malt Syrup
- Expiration period: 1 year 6 months
- Before opening, store in a cool, dry area
- After opening, keep in refrigerator
What to Make
- Spicy Korean Marinades, Stews, Stir-Fries
- Tteokbokki, Jeyuk Bokkeum, Bibimbap Sauce
- Ssamjang (Use as lettuce wrap & veggies)
About the Brand
- Kisoondo is an artisanal company led by Grandmaster Ki Soon Do. She has been perfecting the art of traditional Korean pastes for the last 46 years. In fact, her family has been practicing and preserving this craft for the last 360 years! The brand prides itself on tradition.
What is Gochujang?
Gochujang is a fermented paste that's used in many spicy Korean dishes. It's made with Korean red chili peppers (Taeyang Peppers, shown left). These peppers are picked, dried and grated into tiny flakes. Then, these flakes are mixed with various ingredients including fermented soy bean powder (meju-powder), rice flour and salt. The paste is fermented for many months to develop a deep, piquant flavor. See video below for more details.
The video below shows how Ki Soon Do makes their traditional Gochujang.
To this, they add freshly grown strawberries!
A: No, there is no MSG in this.
Yes, completely normal. It will turn slightly darker in color as it sits in the refrigerator. It's safe to eat!
Korea. All products in Gochujar are made in Korea!
We handpicked the best
sellers in each category.
$3 Intl. Shipping
We deliver globally.
Free for orders >$40
100% Damage Refund
100% refund if damaged.
Shop with confidence!
About The Brand
Kisoondo is an artisanal company led by Grandmaster Ki Soon Do. She has been perfecting the art of traditional Korean pastes for the last 46 years. In fact, her family has been practicing and preserving this craft for the last 360 years! The brand prides itself on tradition.