Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acid (ALA)
[Bangyudang] Untoasted Perilla Oil
Fish like tuna, salmon or mackerel are great sources for Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
But did you know that perilla seeds also have high amounts of Omega-3? In fact, perilla contain the highest amount of Omega-3 (ALA) than any other plants. One tablespoon of perilla oil has roughly the same amount of ALA found in 1 whole mackerel! That's why many Korean homecooks use perilla oil in their recipes.
Bangyudang is a famous, local grain roastery in Gwangju that has over 40 years of experience. They have two signature perilla oils. This is their untoasted version. The perilla seeds are washed, dried and pressed at a low temperature. The seeds are NOT toasted before being pressed. Skipping this toasting process creates a much lighter, subtle-tasting oil. The oil also retains much of its natural nutrition as well as high amounts of Omega-3.
We recommend using this untoasted perilla oil and drizzling it over foods that have been stir-fried or lightly pan-fried: Pan-fried tofu, Stir-fried Mushroom Medley, Japchae, etc. The subtle perilla taste complements stir-fried dishes beautifully.
The oil is available in 2 sizes: 210ml & 340ml
Note: This is an untoasted perilla oil - which is reserved for salads, taken raw, or drizzled as a rice topping. For most everyday Korean recipes, we actually recommend using a toasted oil - click here.
- Made from 100% Korea-grown perilla seeds
- Cold-pressed oil - contains high levels of Omega-3 (ALA)
- Bangyudang has over 40+ years of experience
- Available in 2 sizes: 210 & 350 ml
Bangyudang is a Korea seed roaster based in Gwangju, South Korea.
They've been roasting grains since 1976. This is a picture from the old days.
After 40 years, the owner (show above) has become a grain roasting master!
They specialize in traditional grains and oils.
Made from 100% Korea-Grown Perilla Seeds
Perilla seeds are washed, dried (not roasted) and cold-pressed.
Perilla Seeds (100%)
Expiration period: 9 months
Before opening, keep in a cool, dry area
Ater opening, keep in a cool, dry area
How to enjoy
Use in garnishing lightly-fried dishes (i.e. pan-fried tofu)
Drizzle over stir-fry & lightly-fried dishes
Drizzle over fried eggs
About the Brand
Bangyudang is a Korea seed roaster based in Gwangju that specializes in roasting grains and pressing seed oils.
Recipe Idea 1: Perilla-Oil Fried Egg Bibimbap
1. Get a frying pan hot and drizzle in some Perilla Oil. Crack an egg and let it sizzle in the pan.
(As it fries, you'll smell the perilla oil fill the air - so appetizing!)
3. Scoop some hot rice into a bowl. Place a small piece of Butter over the rice and let it melt.
4. Then drizzle a small amount of Soy Sauce and Sesame Oil over the rice. Top it off with the fried egg.
5. If you have dried laver flakes, sprinkle that in. (Bon Appetit!)
Recipe Idea 2: Korean Beef Pancakes & Green Onion Salad
1. Whisk an egg in a bowl. Pour Korean Pancake Mix into a separate bowl.
2. Dip each thin cut of beef into the pancake mix first, followed by a dip into the egg-wash.
3. Drizzle Perilla Oil into a frying pan. Place on medium-low heat. Once hot, cook beef pieces until light-golden brown.
4. Next, julienne spring onion into thin slices.
5. Make spicy salad dressing: Gochujang Flakes (2.5 teaspoon), Soy Sauce (3 teaspoon), Honey (1 teaspoon), Vinegar (1 teaspoon), Sesame seeds (1 teaspoon), Minced Garlic (1/2 teaspoon), Sugar (1/2 teaspoon), Sesame Oil (1/2 teaspoon).
6. Pour spicy dressing over greens and toss thoroughly.
7. Drop an egg yolk over the green onion salad (optional). And enjoy!
Toasted vs. Untoasted Perilla Oil?
Toasted Perilla Oil: The perilla seeds are first toasted and then the oil is extracted. This toasting process creates an oil that has a much bolder, assertive flavor. However, some of the nutrition will be lost due to the heat.
Note: Toasted Perilla Oil is traditionally used for Korean recipes.
Untoasted Perilla Oil: The perilla seeds are not toasted. This creates a lighter-tasting oil. Since the seeds are not exposed to heat, the nutrition in the seeds are not lost - higher amounts of Omega-3.
Note: Untoasted Perilla Oil has become more popular in the last decade due to more health-conscience buyers.
A: The seeds are grown 100% locally in Korea.
A: Perilla seeds has amounts of Alpha Linoleic Acid (ALA) - an Omega-3 fatty acid that's very healthy for you. It's not produced by the body and has to be obtained through diet. ALA is also sensitive to heat. If the seeds are toasted, much of the nutrition and enzyme is lost. With cold-pressed oil, you retain much higher levels of ALA.
A: The company recommends keeping in a cool, shaded area (away from the sun or heat).
A: Korea. All products in Gochujar are made in Korea!
We handpicked the best
sellers in each category.
$3 Intl. Shipping
We deliver globally.
Free for orders >$40
100% Damage Refund
100% refund if damaged.
Shop with confidence!
About The Brand
Bangyudang is a Korea seed roaster based in Gwangju that specializes in roasting grains and pressing sesame and perilla oil. They've been in business since 1976 and built a solid reputation for premium seed oils & grain powders.